Wednesday 21 March 2012

Day 2: The Repeating

Dear Guy or Girl who decides the weather.  What's the deal?  I get it, everyone wants to be special and leave their mark, but 29 degrees in March? Come on.


So this is day 2.  Yesterday we finished the day by building forms.  Today we... built forms.  Apparently the ground upon which we will place our house is at just the right height that the soil is a jerk, and the forms must therefore be taller.  What is a form, you may be asking?  I haven't a friggin' clue.  It has to do with concrete, lots of heavy boards, and a butt tonne of stakes.


And now we're ready for the vampire invasion.  Bring it, bloodsuckers!
Today I was given a hammer, and hammer I did.  As I write this, my wrist is killing me, because apparently my joints aren't down with this whole "working" thing.  As I drove 3 1/2 inch nails like a bike with no seat (slowly and awkwardly), I realised that throughout my time building sets, we always used screws.  Nails would make striking too cumbersome, so drills and brad nailers did all the work while us delicate theatre folk tried our best to avoid splinters.


So. Many. Splinters.
Now, to be completely honest, there are many rules and regulations in construction.  Most people are aware that hard hats, safety glasses, and proper footwear are necessary for working in this environment.  There is another, however, that you may not be aware of.  All construction sites must have toilet facilities for workers.  So today we got our "on-suite bathroom" installed.


Whatever you do, DO NOT take a bath.
Although it was an incredibly hot, long, and tiring day, it may not look like much was finished..  You'll have to just trust me when I say this is hard work.  I'm usually and honest, upstanding individual.  Or maybe you can judge for yourself.


Uhh... Progress?
Later days.


Alex and Linzi


PS: Yesterday, Linzi told her class that she was building a new house, and told them at the moment, she only had a hole (that we were digging).  One of her students thought for a second, then said; "Wait, you live in a hole!?!".  They are the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment